|Beech-Nut Nutrition Company Issues a Voluntary Recall of One Lot of Beech-Nut Single Grain Rice Cereal and Also Decides to Exit the Rice Cereal Segment
June 8, 2021 - Beech-Nut announced a voluntary recall of one lot of Beech-Nut Stage 1, Single Grain Rice Cereal as well as a decision to exit the market for Beech-Nut branded Single Grain Rice Cereal.
This announcement likely affects WIC vendors/participants, SNAP vendors/participants, and CACFP vendors/participants. The recall should be treated as any other consumer recall, although because of the subject and consumer population it may generate more questions from stakeholders.
Key points from the Beech-Nut announcement are provided below for your awareness.
- Beech-Nut Nutrition has issued a voluntary recall of one lot of Beech-Nut Stage 1, Single Grain Rice Cereal. Click here to view the announcement.
- The specific Beech-Nut Single Grain Rice item (UPC Code# 52200034705) being recalled has an expiration date of 01MAY2022 and product codes: 103470XXXX and 093470XXXX. The expiration date and product numbers can be found at the bottom of the Beech-Nut Single Rice Cereal canister. These specific product codes were distributed nationally through retail and online.
- Consumers who may have purchased Beech-Nut Rice Cereal with product codes: 103470XXXX and 093470XXXX with expiration of 01MAY2022 should discard the product. They can also go to www.beechnut.com/ricecereal, or call 1-866-272-9417, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. for further information on obtaining an exchange or refund.
- This recall is a result of a routine sampling program by the State of Alaska which found that samples from that production lot of Beech-Nut Stage 1, Single Grain Rice Cereal tested above the guidance level for naturally occurring inorganic arsenic set by the FDA in August 2020, though the rice flour used had been tested and confirmed as being below the FDA guidance level for inorganic arsenic.
- In addition to issuing the voluntary recall, Beech-Nut has also decided to exit the market for Beech-Nut branded Single Grain Rice Cereal. Beech-Nut is concerned about the ability to consistently obtain rice flour well-below the FDA guidance level and Beech-Nut specifications for naturally occurring inorganic arsenic.